|AI Type||Passive AI|
|Damage||111619 (Combat Wrench) |
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- Internal NPC ID: 124
|AI Type||No AI|
- Internal NPC ID: 123
The Mechanic is an NPC who sells various mechanisms, as well as Wire Cutters and Wrenches, allowing the player to construct and activate wired devices like traps and critter engines. She can be found in the Dungeon in the Cavern layer or below after killing Skeletron, where she spawns randomly as the stationary Bound Mechanic. Talking to her in this state will free her. If the Bound Mechanic is killed, she will still be able to respawn afterwards; if the Mechanic NPC is killed, she will move in again after some time as long as there are vacant houses.
On the Desktop, Console, and Mobile versions, the Mechanic will attack nearby enemies. She will throw her Combat Wrench like a boomerang to defend herself, dealing 11 / 16 / 19 damage at the start of the game, and as players progress she will gain various stat increases. She can drop her weapon upon death.
The Bound Mechanic is one of the few entities that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer or its upgrades.
|Red Wrench||2||Always available.|
|Blue Wrench||2||Always available.|
|Green Wrench||2||Always available.|
|Yellow Wrench||2||Always available.|
|Wire Cutter||2||Always available.|
|Red Pressure Plate||50||Always available.|
|Green Pressure Plate||50||Always available.|
|Gray Pressure Plate||50||Always available.|
|Brown Pressure Plate||50||Always available.|
|Blue Pressure Plate||50||Always available.|
|Yellow Pressure Plate||50||Always available.|
|Orange Pressure Plate||50||Always available.|
|Teal Pressure Pad||2||Always available.|
|Booster Track||50||Always available.|
|Junction Box||2||Always available.|
|Mechanical Ruler||1||Always available.|
|Mechanical Lens||1||Always available.|
|Engineering Helmet||1||Always available.|
|Wire Bulb||5||Always available.|
|Mechanic's Rod||20||During the following Moon phases: , when the Angler is present.|
|1 Second Timer||1||Always available.|
|3 Second Timer||1||Always available.|
|5 Second Timer||1||Always available.|
|1/2 Second Timer||2||Always available.|
|1/4 Second Timer||2||Always available.|
|Pixel Box||2||Always available.|
|Any Pylon||10||When in a specific biome and is happy enough.|
For more information, see NPC happiness.
When submerged in Shimmer, the Mechanic will transform into her Shimmered form. This has no impact on gameplay or dialogue and is only a visual change. She can be returned to her classic look by submerging her in Shimmer again.
The Mechanic may have any of the following names:
When Goblin Tinkerer is present:
When Arms Dealer is present:
When Tavernkeep is present:
When found in Dungeon:
During Blood Moon:
During a Party:
During a Windy Day:
During a Thunderstorm:
When in a Graveyard:
When far from home:
When in a sparse area:
When in the Snow biome:
When in the Caverns:
When in an Evil Biome or the Dungeon:
When near the Goblin Tinkerer:
When near the Princess:
When near the Cyborg:
When near the Arms Dealer:
When near the Clothier:
- Although the topmost corridors of the Dungeon may be accessible prior to defeating Skeletron, the Mechanic will only be found at Cavern height. Therefore, encountering her always requires defeating Skeletron, because the Dungeon Guardians spawning below zero depth will override all Dungeon spawns.
- In a drunk world, the level at which Dungeon Guardians spawn is lower, therefore it is possible, though difficult, that the Bound Mechanic is encountered before defeating Skeletron.
- Since the Ice biome overrides Underground when calculating Happiness, the Mechanic can be put in an Ice biome without receiving Happiness penalty.
- There appears to be conflict between the Mechanic and Nurse during a Blood Moon. During this time, the Merchant has a chance of saying, "Oh, great. I can hear <name of Mechanic> and <name of Nurse> arguing from here."
- The Mechanic has a crush on the Goblin Tinkerer, as referenced by her quotes, and judging by some of the Goblin Tinkerer's quotes, he has a crush right back.
- This is also proven by her happiness quote, "Umm... <Name of Goblin Tinkerer> makes my heart flutter, I need to get that checked!"
- Rarely, the Nurse and Mechanic can both have the same name, either Kayla or Amy. This can cause the Merchant to say on a Blood Moon, "Oh, great. I can hear Kayla/Amy and Kayla/Amy arguing from here."
- The quote "<name of Arms Dealer> keeps talking about pressing my pressure plate. I told him it was for stepping on." is a vague sexual reference. The Arms Dealer is apparently hitting on the Mechanic, using innuendo, but she does not get the euphemism and takes his comment literally.
- This is further supported by the Mechanic's dislike of the Arms Dealer due to him constantly bothering the Mechanic, referenced in the quote, "I don't really like that <name of Arms Dealer> won't leave me alone!"
- This might be the reason of the conflict between the Nurse and the Mechanic, since the Nurse has a crush on the Arms Dealer.
- The quote "Did you make sure your device was plugged in?" is possibly a reference to "The IT Crowd", or a general statement made by many people in IT about "malfunctioning" devices.
- The quote "<Name of Tavernkeep> offered me a Root Beer, I told him to give it to me in a square cup." is a reference to a math joke; mathematical squares and square roots cancel each other out, therefore the result is simply beer.
- The quote "DON'T MOVE. I DROPPED MY CONTACT." makes a pun on "electrical contact", a device that an electrical current passes through, and "contact lens".
- The quote "Just-could you just... Please? Ok? Ok. Ugh." is possibly a reference to "How I Met Your Mother".
- During a party, when the Mechanic dons a party hat, her hairstyle is different: she wears it down instead of up in a bun. This makes sense as wearing a party hat while having hair in a bun would be cumbersome.
- Her ability to throw her wrench like a boomerang to defend herself may be a reference to Ratchet from the Ratchet & Clank games, who can do the same move.
- Some of her names, "Autumn", "Dawn" and "Ginger" are references to the color orange and thus to her red hair.
- – According to the official game lore, the Mechanic was being forced to rebuild Cthulhu piece by piece by the Cultists, which explains the presence of all mechanical bosses. Additionally, she never finished Cthulhu's mechanical brain, which would account for BoC's lack of a mechanized counterpart.
- The Mechanic hates the Clothier, most likely because he was the one who tied her up and left her in the Dungeon, as referenced by one of his quotes.
- Although she and the Clothier have a mutual hatred for each other, they do not appear to know why, as she only vaguely mentions that he "doesn't know how to treat a woman", while the Clothier only has vague recollections of throwing her in the Dungeon while possessed by Skeletron.
- Her dislike of the Caverns due to "a traumatic experience" likely refers to this incident as well.
- The Mechanic's Shimmered form transforms her into a Goblin. This is most likely a reference to the fact the Mechanic and Goblin Tinkerer have feelings for each other which can be seen in their Living preferences and quotes.
- The Bestiary entry for the Mechanic: "The Mechanic was imprisoned for her aptitude in engineering. She sells wiring and tools for putting together anything imaginable."
- Desktop 1.4.4: Now sells Pixel Boxes and Teleporters.
- Desktop 1.4.1:
- Mechanic's Rod is now buyable in pre-Hardmode, and in 4 moon phases.
- Now sells 1, 3, and 5 Second Timers.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Now has a chance to drop the Combat Wrench upon death.
- Now sells 1/2, 1/4 Second Timers, and Orange Pressure Plate.
- Desktop 1.3.1: Added Yellow Wrench, Teal Pressure Pad, Junction Box, Mechanical Lens, Engineering Helmet, and Wire Bulb.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Sprite updated.
- Added Mechanical Ruler.
- Now defends herself from enemies with a Combat Wrench.
- Desktop 1.2.4: Added Booster Track and Mechanic's Rod.
- Desktop 1.1.1: Now can be untied with Autopause enabled.
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.