From Terraria Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Classic mode icon.png Classic
Expert mode icon.png Expert
Master mode icon.png Master
AI TypeCaster AI
Max Life200/400440/600660
KB Resist40%/46%/52%
BannerTim BannerTim Banner(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions)
Immune toPoisonedConfused
Coins50 SCPre-Hardmode: 1 GC25 SCHardmode: 1 GC

Tim is a rare enemy found in the lower Cavern layer. With an appearance similar to Dark Casters, he can be distinguished by his Wizard Hat, which is guaranteed to drop when he is defeated. Like other casters, Tim will fire three Chaos Balls that pass through solid blocks before teleporting to another visible location on screen.

On the Desktop version Desktop version, Console version Console version, and Mobile version Mobile version, equipping one of the Gem Robe variants in the Armor Slot without a Wizard Hat will boost Tim's spawn rate by 5 times.[1]

He is one of the few entities that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) or its upgrades. Tim requires 10 kills to be awarded completion of his Bestiary entry and corresponding banner, as opposed to the usual 50 kills.


  • Tim can only spawn at the bottom half of the Cavern layer and below.[2] Due to the randomized world generation, the depth will be different for every world. For example, if the border between the Underground and Cavern layers is at the depth of 650 tiles, and the bottom of the Underworld is at the depth of 1800 tiles in a world, Tim will spawn below the depth of 1225 tiles.
    • In general, areas with lava are a good indicator of where Tim will spawn.


Achievement There are Some Who Call Him....png
There are Some Who Call Him... • Kill Tim.
Defeat Tim for the first time. (Desktop, Console and Mobile versions)
Category: Slayer Slayer


  • Tim appears to be wearing a Robe and a Wizard Hat.
  • Tim strongly resembles the Dark Caster, except for the Wizard Hat.
  • Tim's spawn rate increase is described in changelogs as occurring if the player "need[s] his hat". This increase is actually triggered by equipping one of the gem-crafted variations of Robes – any of which can serve as half of a two-piece Wizard armor set with the Wizard Hat that Tim drops, granting the player a 10% increase in magic critical strike chance.
  • Tim's name is a reference to Tim the Enchanter from the British comedy film Monty Python and the Holy Grail, as confirmed by former Re-Logic employee Blue on the Terraria IRC. The name of the achievement acquired by killing him is also a reference to his introduction in the movie.
  • According to the Bestiary, Tim is the Rune Wizard's younger brother.
  • The BestiaryBestiary entry for Tim: "An enchanter in life, this funny fellow won't give up his robe or wizard hat without a fight. He prefers warmer caverns."


  • Desktop
    • Now spawns more frequently if the player is wearing a Gem Robe.
    • Can now drop its own respective banner.
  • Desktop 1.0.5: A longer delay was added between the 3-shot volley and the next teleport.


  1. Information taken from the Desktop version Desktop source code, method SpawnNPC() in Terraria.NPC.cs. He has a 1/200 (0.5%) spawn chance by default. If a Gem Robe is equipped, there is another independent 1/50 (2%) chance, resulting in a total chance of (1/200) + (199/200 * 1/50) = 249/10000 = 2.49%.
  2. Information taken from the Desktop version Desktop source code, method SpawnNPC() in Terraria.NPC.cs. The depth is determined by adding the absolute depths of the bottom of the Underground layer (the top of the Cavern layer) and the bottom of the Underworld, and dividing that value by 2. There may be inaccuracies, as the current Desktop version Desktop version is