Jump to navigation Jump to search
|AI Type||Fighter AI|
- Internal NPC ID: 624
The Gnome is an enemy. When it is not behind a background wall on the surface during the day, it will turn into a Garden Gnome which increases the luck of nearby players.
It is one of the few entities that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer or its upgrades. The Gnome requires 25 kills to be awarded completion of its Bestiary entry and corresponding banner, as opposed to the usual 50 kills.
- Gnomes spawn in front of naturally generated Dirt Walls around the surface line (0 feet) and in front of naturally generated Living Wood Walls at any height. If the player is in front of a natural Living Wood Wall, Gnomes also rarely spawn in front of any wall or, at night, anywhere. Spawn rates are significantly higher when spawning in front of natural Living Wood Walls.
- Spawn chances are reduced by 25% for each Gnome currently alive in the world, with spawns becoming impossible with four Gnomes alive. This reduction does not apply to spawns in front of Living Wood Walls.
- Gnomes emit white, glittering particles when the conditions are met for them to transform into a Garden Gnome, but only when there is an unobstructed block for them to do so. Gnomes will break grass and ambient objects upon transforming into Garden Gnomes, but are unable to break placed furniture items.
- Gnomes will not spawn during a Blood Moon or a Solar Eclipse except in front of Living Wood Walls. However, they will still turn into Garden Gnomes as normal during a Solar Eclipse.
- Gnomes turning into Garden Gnomes counts as the player killing them and will grant banners and the Bestiary entry.
- In Expert Mode, any coins that Gnomes pick up will be permanently lost when they transform into Garden Gnomes.
- Multiple Gnomes are prone to merging into a single apparent figure, e.g. if they happen to gather against a wall. Once they are standing in the same place, the Gnomes will move together without separating, but as soon as they get into sunlight they will transform separately, usually producing multiple Garden Gnomes placed in a row.
- In Don't dig up and Get fixed boi worlds, the Gnome will transform if it is brought into the Underworld layer during the day.
Heliophobia • “Trick a gnome into turning into stone!”
Turn a Gnome into a Garden Gnome.
- Since Gnomes drop neither coins nor other items, killing them usually has no benefits. Instead, luring them to the surface during the day to turn them into Garden Gnomes is much more useful.
- Gnomes can be commonly found within the root networks of Living Trees. It can be difficult to lure them out from these networks though, especially during the early game as their strong knockback can prevent the player from climbing out of the Living Tree's roots to escape into the sunlight. A Cobalt Shield or upgrade will help with that. Rows of platforms (Gnomes can jump 6 tiles high) or staircases also facilitate a quick escape.
- When farming for Gnomes, Battle Potions and Water Candles can be used to maximize the spawn rate, as with all rarer creatures.
- A Lifeform Analyzer (or one of its upgrades) paired with a Hunter Potion or the Binoculars helps locating Gnomes.
- Lava or traps can be used to kill other creatures in nearby areas to reduce spawn competition. Of course, the traps need to be well away of where they might kill the Gnomes.
- Nearby Sunflowers should be removed, as these reduce enemy spawns.
- Increasing the player's luck, e.g. via Ladybugs or already obtained Garden Gnomes, will increase the Gnomes' spawn rates.
- Since Gnomes mainly spawn in front of naturally generated walls, Living Wood Walls in particular, the player can expand their spawn area by removing blocks from Living Trees.
- Minions should be dismissed, as these can quickly kill any Gnome within range. Thorns-like effects and items that activate when taking damage (e.g. the Honey Comb), can also inadvertently kill a Gnome.
- Gnomes do not move (or run away) if the player is too far away, so it is crucial to stay close enough to bait them into sunlight.
- The Bestiary entry for the Gnome: "A tiny long-bearded sneak who resides in oversized trees. Becomes a lawn ornament when exposed to sunlight."
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Introduced.
- Console 184.108.40.206.4.1: Introduced.
- Switch 220.127.116.11.5: Introduced.
- Mobile 18.104.22.168.0: Introduced.